-----------------------------------------------------------------
My blog:
http://tomasminisworld.blogspot.com/
Scroll up

RE: Bannockburn

in What are you working on? Mon Jun 10, 2013 4:40 pm
by Paul´s Bods • 1.314 Posts

Thanks
The question is...did they have crossbowmen in great numbers at bannockburn or not? I´ve seen lists showing they had abot 450, three Groups of 150 in each section of the english army, but it seems they might not have been so common after around 1300, longbows became the favoured english Long range missle System, with the French using large numbers of (particually Genoese crossbowmen)

Scroll up

in What are you working on? Mon Jun 10, 2013 6:01 pm
by Valdemar • 2.175 Posts

Yes, and I have heard that the English did use the longbows for many centuries and the last time that the longbow was used in a large battle should be at the battle at waterloo. It was first at this date that the rifle was so reliable, precise and fast to reload that it could outmatch the longbow.

Best regards

ValdemarMiniatures.com

Scroll up

in What are you working on? Thu Jun 13, 2013 2:32 pm

On average it Looks as if the Scottish cavalry numbered around 500 so two stands of 5 a Piece should cover them.

Close ups and the whole scottish army (so far ) HERE

Scroll up

in What are you working on? Thu Jun 13, 2013 2:42 pm

Nice indeed and the Scots looks a lot like the ones from Braveheart, I do like them but historically I think that the Scottish noble would have been dressed quite similar to their English counterparts?

Best regards

ValdemarMiniatures.com

Scroll up

in What are you working on? Thu Jun 13, 2013 8:52 pm

Thanks.
The scottish nobles would have dressed in a similar style to the english..basically all the troops looked more or less the same, but the scotts had more light cavalry (hobilars - mounted infantry) than the English and most of the scottish Lords/barons etc fought on foot at bannockburn
The english also had a large force of hobilars at bannockburn..around 600 of them

Scroll up

in What are you working on? Mon Jun 17, 2013 12:06 pm

Sir William de Erth of Airth and a couple of english Knights

Close ups and a "whose who" HERE

Scroll up

in What are you working on? Wed Jun 19, 2013 9:25 am

Nice painting, but I think that not even your painting skills can save these Strelets figures

Best regards

ValdemarMiniatures.com

Scroll up

in What are you working on? Thu Jun 20, 2013 3:19 pm

Thanks.
They will all get barded horses ..those that havent already..and i may (if i have time and Money) replace the scottish cavalry with a load of barded horses. I´t will look much better.

Scroll up

in What are you working on? Thu Jun 20, 2013 3:19 pm

Battlefield scatter...made using "left over" repeat poses

Based and "scattered" on the battlefield HERE

Scroll up

in What are you working on? Sun Jun 23, 2013 12:54 pm

Another stand of english for bannockburn

More pics including the Standard bearer for Thomas Randolph, James Douglas, Lord of Douglas and Walter Stewart 6th High Steward of Scotland HERE

Scroll up

in What are you working on? Sun Jun 23, 2013 1:04 pm

Lovely! Just love seeing your shields... can you give the link for your manual again?

Best regards

ValdemarMiniatures.com

Scroll up

in What are you working on? Sun Jun 23, 2013 5:55 pm

Thanks
Which Manual?
The shield Patterns here are randomly taken from the early blazon site and all over the web. I´m making up a contact sheet with as many as possible on it, all scaled down for 1/72nd and when it´s ready I´ll make it available as a PDF here.
I´m also making one with all the english and scottish coats-of-arms (also scaled for use in 1/72nd) but they will take a bit longer..the names etc are being added next to each coat-of-arms and it takes a lot of Research to make sure I´m getting the right ones.

Scroll up

in What are you working on? Sun Jun 23, 2013 6:01 pm

PS...I reckon you were right about the scottish cavalry looking very similar to the english...and now I´ve found nearly 22 scottish Lords who were at bannockburn (and one or two who swapped sides from the english to the scottish side on the evening of day one) I´ll have to make up a few barded horses and replace some of the previous scottish cavalry. The ones without barding will just have to swop sides :-D

I don´t like to rebase but I wasn´t happy with the size of the bases anyway. I will go for two to a base, one Knight, one unbarded (maybe with a flag) on bases with a 4cm frontage so when 3 blocks are together they have a 12cm Impetus frontage.

Scroll up

Visitors
0 Members and 6 Guests are online.

We welcome our newest member: Peter Rathgeb
guest counter
Today were 346 guests online.

Board Statistics
The forum has 1631 topics and 8629 posts.

0 members have been online today: