Greenline Medieval village

in What are you working on? Wed Mar 06, 2013 12:16 pm
by Rob Wernars • 10 Posts

Hello all,

This is my first post here on this forum, so let me introduce myself first!
My name is Rob, 45 years young and I live in the Hague in the Netherlands.
My biggest hobby is modeling 1/16 scale radio controlled tanks.
I've visited a lot of modeling shows and fairs, and so I came in contact with Fredericus Rex, and I always loved his stuff.
Then I found the love of my live, my girlfriend Cordula, who became interested in modeling as well.
So, when visiting a show together, we bought 2 of Fredericus Rex his houses from the Medieval time.
One thing lead to another, and now we're making a big Medieval city, placed on a photoframe, 70cm X 50cm's!
Here are a few photo's:

And the inside of the Gate house:

As this is our first project together, we're still in the learning progress, but we have lot's of fun building and painting.
We are working on it now for about 9 months or so.
Cordula does most of the figure painting, while I do the building and painting of the soldiers.
Now we gonna finish the walls first, (the short wall and corner tower are already glued in position) and when the Gate house is finished I'll glue the other parts of the wall in p osition, and then paint them and blend them in together.
The houses, well and punishing thing ( I forgot the name) are not in position as we still need some houses to finish (Stadthaus) and buy! If you have any suggestion for houses, other then Fredericus Rex, let us know!
Also I would like to know what the difference is between 1/72 and 28mm?
At the mirliton website are a few accessories that we could use (Candleholders and plates with food and so on) but I don't wanna waste money when the are way out of scale!
So, if you have any comments and tips, don't be afraid to share them, as we would like to improve our skills!

Rob and Cordula

Scroll up

RE: Greenline Medieval village

in What are you working on? Wed Mar 06, 2013 1:22 pm
by Valdemar • 2.175 Posts

Wow that is a great project which you have started on and I really do like your choice of colors and the total layout of the city. If I should come with a few recommandations then it would be that I think that you should try to use shadows and highlighting on the different buildings. This way you will get a more realistic and "deeper" model city. For instance I would do the following on the red tiles:

- Wash them with dark red mixed with water
- Highlight then with the same red you used, mixed with a little white. Using a dry brush
And if you have lots of time then it could be a good effect to paint the tiles in 3-5 different redish colors, before you do the above.

When you begin with the parts that should be earth, then I can recommend that you use "plastic wood" mixed with fine sand... this way you will get a great texture and you can even mix it with color before you apply, and all you have to do is to highlight it.

Look forward to following your project.

Best regards

ValdemarMiniatures.com

Scroll up

in What are you working on? Wed Mar 06, 2013 4:06 pm
by Paul´s Bods • 1.314 Posts

Quote: Rob Wernars wrote in post #1
Hello all,

The houses, well and punishing thing ( I forgot the name)
Also I would like to know what the difference is between 1/72 and 28mm?

Rob and Cordula

Welcome to the forum Rob and Cordula.
it all looks very nice..I too look forward to seeing more

The Mirliton things, although they are nice, are way too big. Better to get hold of some Greenline acessories or if you want I can give you a list of makers who produce 1/72nd scale plates etc.
The difference in size between 1/72nd and 28mm. 28mm is 1/56th scale, so the reduction ratio from real life to model size is much less and therefore the figures finish up bigger.
Some 28mm things can be used for 1/72nd..like barrels for example, a small barrel in 28mm is a large barrel in 1/72nd but there´s not a lot that will work this way.
1/72nd is also called 20mm but these days the figs are on average 24mm tall. The difference between 24 - 28 mm sounds like it isn´t much but in fact it is. I´ll try to find a photo of a 28mm (1/56th ) medieval figure next to a 1/72nd one.

PS.the punishment thing is called "the stocks"

Last edited Wed Mar 06, 2013 4:15 pm | Scroll up

in What are you working on? Wed Mar 06, 2013 6:31 pm

Great description you did Paul, I also did have another look at the painting of the houses and actually looks like you did highlight and use different color for stones, so sorry for that one and welcome to the forum, but still that that a dark wash would make wonders on your beautiful scene.

Best regards

ValdemarMiniatures.com

Last edited Wed Mar 06, 2013 6:33 pm | Scroll up

in What are you working on? Wed Mar 06, 2013 7:10 pm

I couldn´t find a photo ...so I took a new one
The fig on the left, 1/72nd scale(according to PSR, 23.5mm) HaT El Cid Almoravid , the one on the right, 1/56th (28mm) Perry WotR´s

Last edited Wed Mar 06, 2013 7:10 pm | Scroll up

in What are you working on? Sat Jun 15, 2013 11:29 am

Hi there,

Thanks for your help! In the meantime-besides work and other projects- we have finished a pub with a few guys in high spirit.
The guys will be visible from the side, in stead of leaving out the whole wall, we choose to widen the 2 windows.

And started to grow some grass outside the city.

We ordered the last 2 houses (shop and smithy) and a few figures.
When the pub and the remaining 2 houses are finished we can think about the final lay-out of the city.

Viele Grüsse/Regards/groetjes

Rob und Cordula

Scroll up

in What are you working on? Sat Jun 15, 2013 7:28 pm

Very impressive Project that you are working on and I definitely like your progress so far. I like the small pub scene and it looks so full of life and puts my figures to the best. Looking forward to your next update.

Best regards

ValdemarMiniatures.com

Scroll up

in What are you working on? Sun Jun 16, 2013 9:22 am

I like it. Where does the one sitting playing the lute come from?

Scroll up

in What are you working on? Sun Jun 16, 2013 5:39 pm

Hi Paul,

I don't know anymore, but he and his 2 friends (the one sitting next to him and the guy across the table) are from a series of 17th century figures! I don't think they are from Valdemar/Fredericus Rex range, as soon as I remember what they are from I'll post it!
We knew the couldn't really fit in our Midlle Age village, but we like to think they are foreigners wearing strange clothes!
If some-one has a tip for more drinking people, let us know, we would like to make a terrace or a "Beergarden".

GRReetz,
Rob und Cordula

Scroll up

in What are you working on? Mon Jun 17, 2013 10:57 am

I actually think that he is from Strelets-R as they did a medieval camp scene some time ago.

Best regards

ValdemarMiniatures.com

Scroll up

in What are you working on? Mon Jun 17, 2013 12:19 pm

He Looks like a strelets fig, but the one I know (as far as I can remember) of was Standing
http://www.plasticsoldierreview.com/Review.aspx?id=880
and even it is converted to a sitting pose.it is Holding the lute at the wrong angle, the neck of the lute is much closer to his head compared to the strelets one.

Last edited Mon Jun 17, 2013 12:20 pm | Scroll up

in What are you working on? Wed Jun 19, 2013 9:27 am

Well sounds like that Rob und Cordula have their own range of figures

Best regards

ValdemarMiniatures.com

Scroll up

in What are you working on? Wed Jun 19, 2013 8:19 pm

Well, unfortunately we don't have the skills to make our own figures!
Even in 1/16 scale (which is my favorite scale for tanks and figures) I hardly manage to convere a figure, let alone sculp my own figure.

Anyway, I found out that the figures are from Kamar:
http://kamar-zinnfiguren.de/catalog/prod...roducts_id=6995

Today a box arrived from Fredericus with the last 2 houses and a couple of figures, so in the coming weeks our City will expand!
I almost hope the summer stays as shitty as it is right now, as it means more modelling time!

GRReetz,
Rob und Cordula

Scroll up

in What are you working on? Thu Jun 20, 2013 3:22 pm

Aha!!!!! 17th Cent figs....That´s why i didn´t recognise them They fit well though.

Scroll up

in What are you working on? Mon Jul 08, 2013 3:09 pm

Hiep Hoi and Hallo,

Time for a small update:

This knight is painted by Cordula, and will be placed before the gate where he's stopped and questioned by the guardsmen.

Here the knight is gathered with some Asterix and Obelisk figures, also painted by Cordula.
We don"t know the manufaturer of these figures, but we know he did some romans as well.
Any one knows where to find these????

This scene is taking place above the bar/pub, and as you can see the building isn't ready yet!

Thanks for looking,
Rob und Cordula

Scroll up

Visitors
0 Members and 24 Guests are online.

We welcome our newest member: Peter Rathgeb
guest counter
Today were 1039 guests online.

Board Statistics
The forum has 1628 topics and 8626 posts.

0 members have been online today: