How to sculpt medieval fortress wall?

in Inspiration for future work? Sat Feb 09, 2013 5:26 pm
by Snagy • 20 Posts

I would be interested in the practices of our fellow-builders in creation of fortress wall! What material(s) can be used, what techniques can be incorporated to carve the (relief) stones? (scale 1/72)
Thank you for the advices.
I should like to take also the opportunity to greet all our members as a freshman in your society!

Scroll up

RE: How to sculpt medieval fortress wall?

in Inspiration for future work? Sun Feb 10, 2013 6:39 pm
by Valdemar • 2.175 Posts

Hi,

Welcome to the forum, I think that you can find some useful info following the work by Carlos.... if not the I can definitely recommend the models available from Greenline by Fredericus Rex...

...and of course our own range of castles and walls

Best regards

ValdemarMiniatures.com

Scroll up

in Inspiration for future work? Sun Feb 10, 2013 7:07 pm
by Paul´s Bods • 1.314 Posts

welcome to the forum Snagy
There´s a range of materials you can use to sculpt stone work. In the past I´ve used builders foam, the pink insulation foam. You can draw the pattern into the surface and the foam cuts very easily. Exactly what it´s called i can´t remember at the moment but I´ll look it up.

Scroll up

in Inspiration for future work? Sun Feb 10, 2013 7:17 pm

I think it is called polystyrene and I have seen some very nice work with this material. Also heavy cardboard and then some polyfylla afterwards can do a good job, but not for stone walls, only smooth walls...

Best regards

ValdemarMiniatures.com

Scroll up

in Inspiration for future work? Sat Feb 23, 2013 11:24 pm
by Carlos Elias • 51 Posts

Hello,
Every modellers haev is preferred material. I made first a plywood structure and late I was stiking bit of cork simulating the square stones. if you want a irregular stone work you can put a mix of pebbles and paster. The result can be seen in this forum

Scroll up

in Inspiration for future work? Wed Dec 10, 2014 11:17 am
by Titus • 10 Posts

Sorry I'm a bit late on posting to this thread but I thought I'd share my limited experience on this.
I know this is in 28mm so slightly larger but I want to build a 1:72 scale fortress in the new year

First build the basic structure out of thick card so you know the basic lay out

Then add in walls floors parra pits doors windows and spray black the reason you need to spray it at this stage is so once the texture is on you don't have card showing through and it's easier than spraying on the texture paint

Next cover with clear thick texture paint and using a scalpel carve in the brick work while the paint is still drying once the texture paint is dry using a thick brush paint over with grey using a drybrush technique as you want the black to show through the cracks a bit. Then add roofs made of card

Paint a few bricks in other shades add flock and gravel as well as any other detail and you are good to go

I know this one is rather basic and poorly detailed as far as dioramas go but it was my starting point hopefully my next one will be better

Scroll up

in Inspiration for future work? Sat Dec 13, 2014 11:27 pm
by Ben90 • 430 Posts

Looks very good!!!

Scroll up

in Inspiration for future work? Mon Dec 15, 2014 10:58 pm
by alex • 400 Posts

Hi ! Very good !!!

Scroll up

in Inspiration for future work? Sat Dec 20, 2014 12:44 pm

I agree...

Best regards

ValdemarMiniatures.com

Scroll up

Visitors
0 Members and 26 Guests are online.

We welcome our newest member: Peter Rathgeb
guest counter
Today were 671 guests online.

Board Statistics
The forum has 1629 topics and 8627 posts.

0 members have been online today: