inspiration for medieval walls

in Inspiration for future work? Tue Dec 25, 2012 9:07 am
by Carlos Elias • 51 Posts

Here I want show some photos taken in some of my walks.

Scroll up

RE: inspiration for medieval walls

in Inspiration for future work? Mon Jan 14, 2013 10:59 pm
by Steven • 267 Posts

Nice BUT (!!!) do you think this walls looked like that around 800 years ago? I don't think so, that's how they look now...these days the could look just smooth...

Scroll up

in Inspiration for future work? Tue Jan 15, 2013 5:34 pm
by Paul´s Bods • 1.314 Posts

They probably would have been a bit smoother back then..they look to easy to climb with all the free joints, but I must admit the second to last picture looks very nice..the colours of the stones

Scroll up

in Inspiration for future work? Sat Jan 19, 2013 4:59 pm
by conny • 238 Posts

I think before 800-1000 years the walls were much smoother. The grouted joints better, the walls plastered smooth. It is now assuming that the walls of the castle were even painted in color. Unfortunately we have today, by Hollywood, a false impression of the architecture in the Middle Ages.
At this time the stone processing and wood processing was in the prime and at a very high level. A few weeks ago we were at a event in Lütjenburg about building in the early and late Middle Ages.
Archaeologists, professors gave lectures on the building in the middle ages. Since then my attitude and knowledge has changed over again. We should not be so much by ignorance and fantasy but rather to keep on facts.

Scroll up

in Inspiration for future work? Sat Jan 19, 2013 10:58 pm
by alex • 400 Posts

Hi , Conny ! Could you tell us a little more? Please ....

Scroll up

in Inspiration for future work? Sat Jan 19, 2013 11:18 pm

Quote: conny wrote in post #4
I think before 800-1000 years the walls were much smoother. The grouted joints better, the walls plastered smooth. It is now assuming that the walls of the castle were even painted in color. Unfortunately we have today, by Hollywood, a false impression of the architecture in the Middle Ages.
At this time the stone processing and wood processing was in the prime and at a very high level. A few weeks ago we were at a event in Lütjenburg about building in the early and late Middle Ages.
Archaeologists, professors gave lectures on the building in the middle ages. Since then my attitude and knowledge has changed over again. We should not be so much by ignorance and fantasy but rather to keep on facts.

Same with the inside of churches. I only recently read about them being painted up with colours similar to indian temples, lots of golds, greens etc. Apparently they did this to create an awe and wonder effect

Scroll up

in Inspiration for future work? Sun Jan 20, 2013 10:35 am
by Valdemar • 2.175 Posts

I have to agree with Conny that when the castles were build they must have had as smooth walls as possible, if not attackers could quite easily climb over.... and naturally the weather will tear on the walls over time and I once read that also in the medieval times they had to repair the walls on a continue sly basis.

And yes, the churches was painted inside, here in Denmark they were all painted white inside at one point, but beneath the white paint there are the most amazing pictures/stories...

Best regards

ValdemarMiniatures.com

Scroll up

in Inspiration for future work? Sun Jan 20, 2013 11:07 am

This is one of my favourites...orthodox christian St. George church in Topola, Serbia

Last edited Sun Jan 20, 2013 11:07 am | Scroll up

in Inspiration for future work? Sun Jan 20, 2013 11:11 am

I´ve found an interactive 3D view of the crypt...
http://www.360cities.net/image/crypt-of-....49,32.46,105.4
click on the picture and use the mouse to turn the picture.

Scroll up

in Inspiration for future work? Sun Jan 20, 2013 7:22 pm
by conny • 238 Posts

Hi,
@ Paul: thanks for beautifull pictures.

A great website: http://www.schauhuette.de/blog/archives/...sualisierungen/

I have meet guys of the Schauhütte at Lütjenburg, they work together with museums and archaeologists.

Our next project together with the Schauhütte is the "Hofstelle Steinhof in Duisburg-Huckingen". We produce the Buildings for a little Diorama.

Last edited Sun Jan 20, 2013 7:23 pm | Scroll up

in Inspiration for future work? Tue Jan 22, 2013 3:27 pm
by Carlos Elias • 51 Posts

hello all,
thanks for your responses.
I´m not and expert in medieval structures, I have only generic knowlement about it. I take my inspiration from that I see . I not doubt that in medieval times the stone walls are more smooth, but I live in Barcelona, where I can see every day some buildings from time that the buildings of the other photos was constructed and is walls rest perfect smooth as when he was constructed as you can see in the photos.
Thus probably not all stone walls was constructed in same way, with same material or with same skill.

Scroll up

in Inspiration for future work? Wed Jan 23, 2013 10:10 pm
by Valdemar • 2.175 Posts

I just love Barcelona! Both the history, the food and the people. I also think that the surface depended on how much money the lord building the castle had = the skills of the master mason he could hire

Best regards

ValdemarMiniatures.com

Scroll up

Visitors
0 Members and 9 Guests are online.

We welcome our newest member: Peter Rathgeb
guest counter
Today were 204 guests online.

Board Statistics
The forum has 1630 topics and 8628 posts.

0 members have been online today: