in Gallery and comments Mon Jan 09, 2012 5:13 pm
by Paul´s Bods • 1.314 Posts

A bit of fun considering there was no snow here this year :-(

A couple more pics including one of a snowball in the face shot here

Scroll up

RE: Snowball fight

in Gallery and comments Sat Jan 14, 2012 5:11 pm
by alex • 400 Posts

Well done, Paul! Very lively and fun! The guy got a snowball in the face - it looks very natural!

Scroll up

in Gallery and comments Mon Jan 16, 2012 8:39 pm
by Dirk • 98 Posts

A nice idea this snowball fight. The snowball in the face is a great looker.

http://diriminiaturen.oyla.de/cgi-bin/hpm_homepage.cgi

Scroll up

in Gallery and comments Sun Feb 12, 2012 1:05 am
by Steffmon • 9 Posts

A very nice idea with a good catched atmosphere! :)

Especially the trees are looking very authentic, what did you use for them?

Best regards,
Steffen

Scroll up

in Gallery and comments Sun Feb 12, 2012 4:48 pm
by Valdemar • 2.175 Posts

Great work and agree... please tell a little about how you did the trees etc. I know that Yarik uses natron/baking powder for snow

Best regards

ValdemarMiniatures.com

Scroll up

in Gallery and comments Sun Feb 12, 2012 5:40 pm

Thanks
The trees are from mahonia plants..they grow like weeds and if you pull the roots out, knock any earth off and then put in the sun or on a radiator they dry very well. mahonia is also a very hard wood so it doesn´t shrink or splitt.
The Rocks (left and right ) are from Pine tree bark, painted black, then dry brushed in grey.
The wall in the middle is made from insulating foam, the pattern drawn on and some bits cut with a scalpel.
The snow..plaster of paris. I put a bit of watered down woodglue on the areas I wanted , then with some plaster on a small spoon, I pushed it off onto the glue with an old paintbrush, then pushed it about with the paintbrush. To get it to stay put ( not all of it sticks to the glue) I held the dio in the steam made by a kettle
I have tried baking powder but it went yellow....but I have a new idea for snow...which I will show another time..

Scroll up

in Gallery and comments Sun Feb 12, 2012 9:50 pm
by Steffmon • 9 Posts

Thank you very much for your detailed answer! :) I'll try to use trees of this kind on my next diorama; till this day I was looking out for wintery/ autumn trees in 1/72, but I couldn't find anything usable...

Thanks again,

Steffen

Scroll up

in Gallery and comments Sun Feb 12, 2012 11:20 pm

Hi Steffen and welcome to the forum (I do not think I said hello before.)
Other good roots for trees are Ash tree roots..they are also everywhere and the very best (and easiest to pull up) are the ones that have grown on very sandy soil, they have a lot of fine side roots. The don´t have the twisted appearance of the mahonia roots and when they dry out become a bit brittle.
Next best are from birch trees..lots and lots of very fine roots in most every type of soil. When dry they are not so brittle as the Ash tree ones.

Scroll up

in Gallery and comments Sun Feb 12, 2012 11:43 pm
by Steffmon • 9 Posts

That are a lot of good ideas and inspirations! I'll guess that I have to do a little walk during the next days and collect some roots of different bushes, trees and plants. My first try was to build a tree made of wire and cast, but it didn't look very natural... maybe it's an unwritten rule, that the most authentic plants for modelling are made by nature on its own. ;)

Oh, and thank you very much for your welcome! :)
I always watched out for a introduction are but I couldn't find one yet, so I think it should be okay to start posting.

I hope that I'm able to present my next diorama during the months, but I'm afraid that it will take a while anymore... it treats the evening before the battle of Agincourt and at the moment I'm working at an Earl's tent.

Best regards,
Steffen

Scroll up

in Gallery and comments Mon Feb 13, 2012 12:30 am
by ColeF • 158 Posts

Hi Steffen! Go ahead and show us some WIP shots. We won't bite (hard).

Btw Paul, very original idea!

Current WIP:
ECW project

Scroll up

in Gallery and comments Mon Feb 13, 2012 9:34 am

I too have tried making a tree from wire..it ended up looking like, well, a lot of wire I have watched people make them and it looked easy and very effective ...not for me though.

Your idea for your dio sounds great...very original. There are lots of dios about the actual day of Agincourt but I have never seen one of the evening of the day before. I look forward to seeing it

Scroll up

in Gallery and comments Mon Feb 13, 2012 1:21 pm
by Steffmon • 9 Posts

I'll try to take some new pics and start a new thread tomorrow. :)

Best regards,
Steffen

Last edited Mon Feb 13, 2012 1:21 pm | Scroll up

Visitors
0 Members and 11 Guests are online.

We welcome our newest member: Peter Rathgeb
guest counter
Today were 402 guests online.

Board Statistics
The forum has 1630 topics and 8628 posts.

0 members have been online today: