Cog project

in What are you working on? Tue Nov 29, 2011 3:56 am
by Denis • 11 Posts

Started to work on the 1/72 scale cog which is more like 1/64. Got a series of figures from Valdemar. I finished the deck using wood from thin planks obtained from model expo. Got rd of those pesky mold imprint that mare most of the parts. The deck was stained using oil paint then sealed with a product known in the US as Danish Oil. The plastic parts were painted freehand using Liquitex paint. Then I airbrushed the liquitex which at that stage is fairly translucent and tone down the contrast between the plastic color and the paint.
The figures are a daunting task as I am used to 90mm and occasionally 54mm this is my first try at this scale. The Teutonic Knight are always been my center of interest and I am planning to have the cog integrated in a harbor scene (being loaded for an expedition farther up the Baltic). I would like to include some city walls and a medieval crane !
But my next step will be the rigging and the furled sail of the cog, this will not pose too much problem having rigged a few large ships such as the Bounty and Soleil Royal.
I have been long winded but it is nice to be a part of this group that share the same interests. So hello to everyone and happy modeling!

Scroll up

RE: Cog project

in What are you working on? Tue Nov 29, 2011 8:59 pm
by Paul´s Bods • 1.314 Posts

Hi Dennis and welcome to THE forum for medieval modelling fans.
Which Cog..the one from Zvezda/Revell? As you say..it isn´t 1772nd but about 1/56 but still a nice looking ship.
I look forward to you posting pics of your work..

Scroll up

in What are you working on? Tue Nov 29, 2011 11:30 pm
by Valdemar • 2.175 Posts

Hi Denis,

Welcome, look forward to seeing some images

Best regards

ValdemarMiniatures.com

Scroll up

in What are you working on? Wed Dec 07, 2011 4:26 pm
by Denis • 11 Posts

Here are some photos (I hope ) the cylinder in the front are two canon that I turned out of a brass rod. Maybe too long and will need to be shorter. /Users/johnthirion/Desktop/100_2965.JPG/Users/johnthirion/Desktop/100_2966.JPG/Users/johnthirion/Desktop/100_2964.JPG[URL=][/URL]

Attached pictures:
100_2964.JPG
100_2965.JPG
100_2966.JPG
Scroll up

in What are you working on? Wed Dec 07, 2011 9:00 pm

Interesting and it looks good so far. the cannons..will the be mounted on carriages or attached "as if"

Scroll up

in What are you working on? Wed Dec 07, 2011 11:50 pm
by Denis • 11 Posts

The cannons will be cargo being loaded on the ship, I have also done some barrels . This is my first such project and may instead use the Valdemar Cog which will be a more accurate scale to go with the figures. I did learn a lot using wood and plastic together and blending the colors. Just wondering about the cost of the new kit and of course the size. Also drawing different versions of a medieval crane, the large one with the large "wheels" on both side look tempting but may be too much for my skill. My only large wood project was a trebuchet for 54mm figures and yes it did work and was able to launch small pebbles across the living room. Also did an onager also in 54mm.

Scroll up

in What are you working on? Thu Dec 08, 2011 8:45 pm

Sounds good.
Conny (Fredericus rex) does a small crane in 1/72nd. The idea of using wood and plastic together is a good one. What glue did you use to join them??
The valdemar Cog..Jens reckons with the cost being about 150 euros but it does look a very nice ship.

Have you any pics of the 54mm trebuchet??? (sorry, lot of questions )

Scroll up

in What are you working on? Fri Dec 09, 2011 4:16 pm
by Denis • 11 Posts

Moved to a new house last year, still unpacking some of the non essentials will post as soon as I locate it. The cog will be expensive but it will be a small release therefore the price. Looking to locate some 30mm figures for the "1/72" Zvezda cog. Anyone could help me to find some of those 30mm figures, medievals of course. I am not looking for a couple of armed men guarding the ship and give it a sense of scale.

Scroll up

in What are you working on? Sat Dec 10, 2011 9:12 pm

In 28mm (basically 30mm) there are loads...
Here´s a list of them all
http://www.thehobbycompass.com/index.php...id=36&Itemid=28

Last edited Sat Dec 10, 2011 9:15 pm | Scroll up

in What are you working on? Sat Dec 10, 2011 9:42 pm

And for a bit of fun..although they don´t look too bad..28mm cogs in cardboard
http://www.baronyminiatures.com/Naval.html

Scroll up

Visitors
0 Members and 24 Guests are online.

We welcome our newest member: Peter Rathgeb
guest counter
Today were 1376 guests online.

Board Statistics
The forum has 1628 topics and 8626 posts.

0 members have been online today: