Testing 3D modelling

in What are you working on? Sat Aug 27, 2011 11:11 am
by Valdemar • 2.175 Posts

Hi All,

I have justed started a test which will test the new technologies. First part of the project is to make a "master" knight with lots, lots of detail etc. Next step will be to arrange this 3D skeleton in different poses add weapons etc. and then print it using a 3D printer. This will in teory give some highly detailed masters which can be casted. Also if this works I will make so that collectors can "print" themselves using an online service.

If it works I do not know, but I just have to test

Best regards

ValdemarMiniatures.com

Scroll up

RE: Testing 3D modelling

in What are you working on? Sat Aug 27, 2011 3:14 pm
by Godehardt • 4 Posts

This is a great idea. I also think to do things like this, to create some kind of masters via programs like sculptris or blender which both are free. I hope to get a 3D-printer within the next half of a year.
Best regards,
Erhard

Scroll up

in What are you working on? Sun Aug 28, 2011 2:31 pm
by Paul´s Bods • 1.314 Posts

3D printing!! Ok I know about this technology but I´m not sure wehter i will get a printer...the cost!! Not just of the printer but of the "ink"..

Scroll up

in What are you working on? Sat Sep 03, 2011 7:13 pm

3D project
Hi,

First regarding the price of a 3D printer then I recommend that you do not buy as there are many freelance services which are cheap. I just got some prints and the cost for a 3D cow in 1/72 scale are just 5 usd for the prototype...

Regarding my 3D project then you can see the first image of the first master below... please give your comments.

Best regards

ValdemarMiniatures.com

Scroll up

in What are you working on? Sat Sep 03, 2011 7:24 pm

Amazing!!!! That would be in 1/72nd scale!!!!? What might such a fig cost??

Scroll up

in What are you working on? Sat Sep 03, 2011 8:26 pm

Well the expensive part is creating the 3D model. Afterwards I print and cast in metal. I was thinking perhaps to make it possible for collectors to print their own... Just for fun :0)

Best regards

ValdemarMiniatures.com

Scroll up

in What are you working on? Sun Sep 04, 2011 9:23 am
by Godehardt • 4 Posts

Hello,
The master is really good. You are right that the most expensive part is the resin, which can cost even more than 500 USD per liter, this depends on the type of light which you use to harden the resin (other printers working with types of plaster are really expensive and the material is expensive, too). I am planning to build a printer at home together with a friend. This will use a liquid resin which is hardened by visible light. We hope to decrease the price for the resin to less than 100 USD per liter. And you have to bear in mind that the amount of resin per figure in 1/72 scale is less than 1 ccm (1/1000 of a liter)!
By the way, did you use a free sculpting program like Blender or Sculptris to create your master?
Best regards
Erhard

Scroll up

in What are you working on? Sun Sep 04, 2011 2:34 pm
by ignace • 120 Posts

that master figure looks really great.

Scroll up

in What are you working on? Mon Sep 05, 2011 10:59 am
by alex • 400 Posts

Help! Help! Robots take away jobs from people!

Scroll up

in What are you working on? Mon Sep 05, 2011 1:45 pm

Well that day is still far away with your skills But this will make it possible to play with the new technology and also this will make Valdemar to not only the smallest but also one of the most innovative model manufacturers. If we look into the future I think that it would be great if collectors could select an armour style, a "head or helmet", weapons and also the body position and then print individual miniatures which are personalized... but just my crazy vision

Soon I will show the three first figures which will be printed and casted, 3 knights in resting poses.

Best regards

ValdemarMiniatures.com

Scroll up

in What are you working on? Mon Sep 05, 2011 6:19 pm

Zitat von alex
Help! Help! Robots take away jobs from people!

Never!!! The computer image looks excellent but a human sculptor puts feeling into the fig...something that a computer will never be able to do.

Scroll up

in What are you working on? Thu Sep 08, 2011 6:25 pm
by RayCaruana • 241 Posts
Scroll up

in What are you working on? Mon Sep 12, 2011 3:31 pm
by SamSagace • 289 Posts

I agree with you, Paul and Ray!
The 3D model is very clean and seems perfect, but for me too clean, like some painting figures!

It could be useful for completing or converting some "real sculpt", but we have great sculptors and they never could be replaced!

Scroll up

in What are you working on? Mon Sep 12, 2011 8:01 pm

Images of the first 3 finished Masters Will be uploaded in 1-2 days and I think that some of the critics will be corrected as the masters are close to fantastic. The technology is good for making knights etc. but not for the amazing diversey as in the Alex masters. But let me know what you think when you see the masters...

Best regards

ValdemarMiniatures.com

Scroll up

in What are you working on? Tue Sep 13, 2011 7:22 pm

Here you can see the first 3D knights ready for printing, what do you think?

3d knights finished print

Best regards

ValdemarMiniatures.com

Scroll up

Visitors
0 Members and 18 Guests are online.

We welcome our newest member: Peter Rathgeb
guest counter
Today were 469 guests online.

Board Statistics
The forum has 1631 topics and 8629 posts.

0 members have been online today: