plastic, metal or resin

in New masters and miniature news from all manufacturers Tue Nov 16, 2010 9:32 pm
by alex • 400 Posts

My friends!
Jens and I are always looking for the best solution and the material for the production of miniatures.
All materials have advantages and disadvantages.
Resin is - it's expensive and fragile, but quickly made and high quality.
Metal - not so expensive, and could still draw. But the quality is a little less. Plastic - may achieve a good quality, but within the limits that can enable a rigid form - a stamp. But the price of each figure is smaller and much larger circulation.
With this in mind, what I said (and you all know this before) would like to hear from you: Which of the figures or sets of Valdemar would be preferable for materials: plastic, metal, resin?

Scroll up

RE: plastic, metal or resin

in New masters and miniature news from all manufacturers Tue Nov 16, 2010 10:24 pm
by Andreas • 185 Posts

Ok
Resin , i don´t like it at all ...., fragile , slow to paint , that bugs .
Plastic , much better to work with , fine Details , but as i got the Hunting Party it was a kind of puzzle to find the right ear or other small parts , i had to rebuild with putty . But i like the Quality and not every Platic Set i got came like this .
Metal , i like most , the Hands don´t break while i try to drill a whole in . Good to paint .

at the end of my englisch there is still so much to explain .....

Scroll up

in New masters and miniature news from all manufacturers Tue Nov 16, 2010 10:36 pm
by Ben90 • 430 Posts

Metal is the best for the figures themselves but weapons like spears, swords and lances are better if they´re made out of plastic because it doesn´t bend too easy and stays better in form than thin metal sticks.

Scroll up

in New masters and miniature news from all manufacturers Tue Nov 16, 2010 10:45 pm
by Paul • 1 Post

Metal is best in my opinion. Metal doesn't break as easily as resin, I had a nightmare with the crossbowmen, nearly all broke.

Plastic is OK. I agree, weapons sets could be made in plastic as they are more usable and less prone to snapping than metal.

Love the new sets - excellent work.

Scroll up

in New masters and miniature news from all manufacturers Tue Nov 16, 2010 11:31 pm
by alex • 400 Posts

Andreas - I'm sorry about this bad experience ...
When I talked about the plastic - I mean plastic as "Orion", Zvezda

Scroll up

in New masters and miniature news from all manufacturers Wed Nov 17, 2010 12:25 am
by Andreas • 185 Posts

It wasn´t that bad , some of the Horses ears and small Parts were broken . It was easy to redo .
I had a lot of fun with painting this excellent Set . I still have to paint two of them .

I like Metal because it is something special for me .

Scroll up

in New masters and miniature news from all manufacturers Wed Nov 17, 2010 2:35 am
by ColeF • 158 Posts

Something like Zvezda's plastic would be good. The resin/plastic mix, which everyone here doesn't seem to like, is not my favorite, but I prefer it to metal.

Current WIP:
Valdemar Teutonic army on the march

Scroll up

in New masters and miniature news from all manufacturers Wed Nov 17, 2010 8:36 am
by Valdemar • 2.175 Posts

Well if I could choose free then I would prefer the resin/plastic compound, but the big problem with this is that it breakes and sometimes we can only make 75 sets out of 100 due to this problem... and when later shipped to collectors the parts can break again and needs glue. So with this in mind I prefer metal, it is about the same price as resin, but it does not break and are easy to handle.

I like the Zvezda material, but injection technique will not allow undercuts and this is not good, if you like Alex and I tries to make the best 1/72 scale medieval miniatures in the world

Best regards

ValdemarMiniatures.com

Scroll up

in New masters and miniature news from all manufacturers Wed Nov 17, 2010 11:34 am
by Andreas • 185 Posts

[quote="I like the Zvezda material, but injection technique will not allow undercuts and this is not good, if you like Alex and I tries to make the best 1/72 scale medieval miniatures in the world [/quote]

That´s the most important point of view .

Scroll up

in New masters and miniature news from all manufacturers Wed Nov 17, 2010 2:18 pm
by Steven • 267 Posts

for me, you are very close to it *g*

but to come to your Question, I like the metal most and then comes the plastic. Truely the figures out of metall and the weapons out of plastic would be a very good solution

Scroll up

in New masters and miniature news from all manufacturers Wed Nov 17, 2010 4:48 pm
by ColeF • 158 Posts

I also prefer figs with no bases on them, it makes it much easier (and looks more natural) to put them in a dio. The metal bases can be a pain to get off.

Current WIP:
Valdemar Teutonic army on the march

Scroll up

in New masters and miniature news from all manufacturers Wed Nov 17, 2010 5:07 pm
by Steven • 267 Posts

true! Better without bases for the Dio's

Scroll up

in New masters and miniature news from all manufacturers Wed Nov 17, 2010 6:43 pm
by Mich • 462 Posts

Bonsoir,
Pour moi, j'aime mieux la résine qui permet une qualité extraordinaire.
Surtout avec la qualité fournie par ValdemarMiniatures au niveau du gravage.
Il est vrai qu'il faudrait supprimer les socles également. Pour les lances et autres, j'utilise des guides pour le jardinage qui rend encore plus extraordinaire le produit ...

***Translate with Google
Good evening,
For me, I prefer the resin that allows extraordinary quality.
Especially with the quality provided by ValdemarMiniatures at the engraving.
It is true that it would also remove the bases. For spears and others, I use guides for gardening that makes the product even more special ...

Mich, le côté obscure de la miniature...
Mon site perso:
http://www.michdioramas.com

Mail: mich@michdioramas.com
mobile: +41 79 357 14 77

Scroll up

in New masters and miniature news from all manufacturers Thu Nov 18, 2010 7:43 am
by Valdemar • 2.175 Posts

Well the problem with both metal and resin are that resin are made in russia and metal in the UK... so I think that initially Alex and I will continue as now with a small initial release in resin and later metal.

Best regards

ValdemarMiniatures.com

Scroll up

in New masters and miniature news from all manufacturers Thu Nov 18, 2010 4:03 pm
by alex • 400 Posts

I want to learn also from our friends: if there are old sets or individual pieces that can be combined in a set, then to release them from the plastic? I suppose that in order to make a small diorama with figures of Valdemar, or to show his skill in coloring - is preferable to use resin or metal, but to make the set pieces, to make numerous conversions or large diorama or assemble a large army - better than plastic? Or not?

Scroll up

Visitors
0 Members and 7 Guests are online.

We welcome our newest member: Peter Rathgeb
guest counter
Today were 220 guests online.

Board Statistics
The forum has 1631 topics and 8629 posts.

0 members have been online today: