The battle of Teutoburg forest

in Knights table Mon Mar 21, 2011 8:19 pm
by Ben90 • 430 Posts

It´s been quite silent here the last days, so I´ve decided to show some work in progress pictures of a project that I am working on. The figures are from Caesar miniatures, Italeri and Zvezda (also some conversions). The cart is self-made out of the shields in the siege-machines kit (zvezda). Hope you like it.

Attached pictures:
Varusschlacht 1.png
Varusschlacht 2.png
Scroll up

RE: The battle of Teutoburg forest

in Knights table Mon Mar 21, 2011 9:06 pm
by Paul´s Bods • 1.314 Posts

Looks ok so far...don´t go for too many Lorica Segmentata...they were a pretty new design and not too common at this time...the legions were re-equipped in 13-14 Ad with them but it´s generally considered that they were not in service at the battle of Varus.
(I know that the found a breast section clasp at osnabruck but that could have turned up with germanicus´s expedition and been thrown away ...it shows signs of repair so maybe the armourer or owner decided it was scrap..or it fell off.)
Also any archeological evidence of osnabruck being the site ot the disaster is very heavily disputed.

Scroll up

in Knights table Mon Mar 21, 2011 10:10 pm
by Jager • 178 Posts

Hi nice to see some Roman.
I have ordered the zvezda tesdudo and german warriors.
And Roman in 1/32 scale,but it will take some time before i can show something.

In this scale the figure may be lifted with some wash or filter
I like the painting and the tree. Is it Republik Roman and gaul?

Last edited Mon Mar 21, 2011 10:15 pm | Scroll up

in Knights table Mon Mar 21, 2011 10:28 pm
by Ben90 • 430 Posts

There were segments of the lorica segmentata found at the areas where the battle took place, so it is reasonable that they were used (in small numbers) in the battle at teutoburg forest. That´s why I use mostly conversions of the roman infantry made by Italeri with the lorica hamata (mail armour) and only small numbers of the Zvezda imperial romans. But I think that an Optio as an officer may have had the lorica segmentata. The problem is to find good-looking german warriors. The Caesar Miniature Germans, that I use, are nice but the poses are not very usable for me, so I can´t use a lot of them.

For me it is very important to show many different styles of roman equipment, because there were lots of variations at the same time.

Last edited Mon Mar 21, 2011 10:31 pm | Scroll up

in Knights table Mon Mar 21, 2011 10:56 pm
by Ben90 • 430 Posts

Here are the conversions of the Italeri romans.

Attached pictures:
Conversions.png
Legio XVIII.png
Scroll up

in Knights table Tue Mar 22, 2011 8:06 pm
by Jager • 178 Posts

ouch ouch ouch the painting is superb and the conversion to

Scroll up

in Knights table Wed Mar 23, 2011 10:11 pm
by Paul´s Bods • 1.314 Posts

Bloody amazing conversions...one of my favourite sets for converting...and a lot of people say it´s a boring set due to the two ro three poses.
The guy who discovered the "site of the battle of Varus" in Osnabruck...T.Clunn, I´ve talked with him about it and to be honest he´s no longer convinced that it was there.

Scroll up

in Knights table Sun Apr 03, 2011 8:37 pm
by Ben90 • 430 Posts

A small update: Made some rocks with modelling putty and glued the whole thing to the ground-plate. I still need to paint the germans (converting some italeri gauls at the moment) and also some legionaries, as well as the main figures (Varus and Arminius). The landscape needs some more trees and shrubs and, of course, groundwork. And I still need a centurio in a nice position. The zvezda centurio looks mor like on a drill...

Attached pictures:
Teutoburg.png
Scroll up

Visitors
0 Members and 6 Guests are online.

We welcome our newest member: Peter Rathgeb
guest counter
Today were 378 guests online.

Board Statistics
The forum has 1630 topics and 8628 posts.

0 members have been online today: