A liitle problem with the "Pilgrims" set...

in Knights table Fri Feb 18, 2011 4:53 pm
by SamSagace • 289 Posts

Hi!
after many hesitations.... I decided yesterday to choose the FiRST Valdemar set I'll paint!
(I'll just paint a knight for a little vignette.... but not show here!)
I think I have still enough experience for that! (... and if anyone say otherwise... )
So my choice is the Pilgrims set, because it's really one of my prefer sets !
But I have a problem: how can I put the horses on bases (resin set, no base, just little pins like AIRFIX ones...)
no bases: difficult to install them for the painting! (needles on the resin seems very difficult ton do!)
If you can give me some advices....
Thanks!

Scroll up

RE: A liitle problem with the "Pilgrims" set...

in Knights table Fri Feb 18, 2011 7:37 pm
by Steven • 267 Posts

for this problem I use modeling clay (in German we say Knete or Knetmasse). I form some little balls and put the feet into it. So you can take them into your hands. The only thing you have to do is to paint the feet "after" finishing the top of the figure.

Scroll up

in Knights table Sat Feb 19, 2011 6:44 pm
by Paul´s Bods • 1.314 Posts

Get a sheet of clear plastic. about 6cm´s by 4 cm´s.
Glue the horse directly to this using loctite...I guarantee that when you have finished painting it, you can use a scalpel and the bond between plastic sheet and resin will crack. You can then use the same method to attach it permanently to it´s final resting place.

Last edited Sat Feb 19, 2011 6:45 pm | Scroll up

in Knights table Sun Feb 20, 2011 3:27 pm
by SamSagace • 289 Posts

Thanks Steven and Paul!
... I'll try the Paul's method, I think!
or maybe, Paul, what do you think using AIRFIX bases (I have a lot of "US Cavalry" ones!) and fixing the horses on them?
(If necessary, I'll make some holes on them... )

Scroll up

in Knights table Sun Feb 20, 2011 7:01 pm
by Paul´s Bods • 1.314 Posts

The sort of Airfix plastic is a bit too "shiny" and doesn´t take glue very well, especially if you are going to use them as a permanent base. The best sort would be the type of plasic used for CD covers.
Either that or you make up a sand and wood glue base like here:
http://paulsbods.blogspot.com/2011/01/basing-bods.html
and glue the horse direct too it usinfg Loctite 401...the porous nature of the base will stck the figure as hard a rock and give you a good base to hold while painting it. Of course this is how I do it as I want my nags etc based individually.

Scroll up

in Knights table Tue Feb 22, 2011 5:00 pm
by Valdemar • 2.175 Posts

I buy my bases at hordes and heros. It is a gaming system for 15mm figures and their smallest base is a perfect match for horses and for infantry I just cut them into smaller pieces.

Best regards

ValdemarMiniatures.com

Scroll up

Visitors
0 Members and 4 Guests are online.

We welcome our newest member: Peter Rathgeb
guest counter
Today were 4 guests online.

Board Statistics
The forum has 1631 topics and 8629 posts.

0 members have been online today: